Thursday, February 23, 2012

J. Edgar, Ides of March & Iron Lady...

Since it is the build up to the 2012 academy awards, like tradition, I am watching ALL (yes all) of the academy nominated movies...

Yesterday I watched Iron Lady with Meryl Streep...her acting was absolutely, undoubtably AMAZING. There is no greater actress than Meryl Streep. She took on Margaret Thatcher and nailed her perfectly to a T. She was phenomenal in that movie. The story of her portrayal was not so good but Meryl carried that movie and made it the first movie I was to watch for oscar build up. There was a lot of poignant moments that had me in tears because even though, Margaret Thatcher came off as a right old bitch, she suffered grief like most people and when she had to pack up her husbands things, my oh my was I in TEARS...I admit I get too emotionally attached to characters in movies but I still was in tears...and that started from when they showed her one minute talking to her husband to the next that she had set everything up for him even though he wasn't there...Iron Lady may have been her nickname but in all honesty it seemed fitting because the core of the movie, proved that hard and mean Margaret Thatcher was not made of iron, that she was a human being...it brought realism to the lady who changed British politics..

J.Edgar, hmmmm...I love anything leo and its acting is divine but I was severely disappointed....especially for a Clint Eastwood film....but there was something just off about it...it may have been the style that there was no particular theme to it...or the fact it was just him remembering his time at the FBI....I can't quite put my finger on it...I feel as though, Clint Eastwood lost his touch a little bit with this film which SUCKS because I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan...like The Changeling, was amaze balls...Mystic River was brilliant and Million Dollar Baby is one of my all time fave films...but this was just not right...not to belittle anyone but maybe it was the writing...if it wasn't for Leonardo DiCaprio, I probably honestly would have no interest in the film and usually this quite up my alley...I don't know..I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't enjoy the film...I watched it to the very end but honestly, I don't think I'll watch it again....

Ide of March I watched this morning and this I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't know why but I've become a bit of a political movie appreciator...this movie has politics written ALL over it (and the fact Ryan Gosling was in it didn't harm either....;)) but this movie I really did enjoy. I thought that George Clooney did a great job not only writing this movie and starring in it, but directing it...I love the ending where you see Ryan Gosling, contemplating his actions right before his interview, or at least indicating that he felt somewhat bad about his actions to getting down to business and looking us movie watchers STRAIGHT in the eye...classic Clooney signature...just like in Michael Clayton, the ending where George's character Michael Clayton, does something to set up Tilda Swindon's character and gets in the taxi...behold, the movie was written and directed by Clooney...coincident? i think not...;)

I love movies and the Oscars....its time to appreciate movies that are considered "Great"....

Tomorrow, the descendants and the artist...

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment